We are looking for a talented GML programmer to lay the groundwork for a dark fantasy strategy RPG. You will develop the game's core functionality!
In the spirit of Fire Emblem, our game is a grid-based strategy RPG. The player controls a group of characters on a square grid, and commands them to move and attack the enemy AI. Strategy revolves around planning movement and attacks, and predicting what the enemy will do when their own turn arrives.
A brief outline of the functionality you will develop:
- A flexible square grid system that allows the player to move characters by clicking a destination
- A turn-based movement system. The player takes their time to move all of their characters, then their turn ends and the enemy AI turn begins. Once the enemy AI has finished moving, the player takes their turn again, etc.
- Pathfinding, allowing both the player and enemy characters to determine the shortest path to their destination and avoid obstacles
- Robust enemy AI that tries to outwit the player. Enemies will target weak player characters and prioritize actions that allow them to survive
- Additional grid-based functionality such as: selecting a square to deploy characters to before the battle starts, placing hazards and obstacles on the grid, removing characters from the grid once defeated, and enabling victory/defeat conditions such as destroying all enemies to win
If you have experience programming with GML, then we would love to hear from you!