POP/IMAP on an existing database
The company is working on a dematerialised office solution for
This solution is composed of a
· Set of groupware functionalities
We need to offer to our customers a direct access to their inbox
through IMAP4 and POP3.
2. Technical view
[url removed, login to view] webmail
Our solution is quite simple, the user is defining multiples pop
and imaps accounts.
Based on their usage frequency, we fetch from the mail accounts
the mails adequately.
They are filtered for
Then they are indexed for search efficiency.
[url removed, login to view] need
The users are forced to use the webmail application, which is a
big drawback of our solution.
Our users request to use their usual mail application such as
outlook and lotus.
Therefore we need to propose IMAP4 and POP3 servers frontend
working as proxies to our database.
[url removed, login to view] technology
Our solution is based on a postgresql database.
It fits the solution’s needs as per its functionality, stability
We have a schema made of more than 150 tables, 13 of them are used
for the webmail.
We use the java 1.4 language primarily on linux.
[url removed, login to view] solution
We need you to
· propose a solution based on java
· show us that your solution is viable.
· show us how you would do these java servers.
· show us that your solution could scale reasonably well.
· show us that you are willing to participate in the success of this solution (ie working on other releases)
· tell us how long it would take your team to implement your solution
· tell us when you could work with us to go deeper in the specifications
· to show us that your solution would be simple and straightforward
You may NOT
· Propose a complicated techy solution (we are focused on simplicity)
· Propose an untestable solution
You may propose if you like to use existing software for your solution such as
· james ([url removed, login to view])
· antlr ([url removed, login to view])
You may propose whatever other solution that you would find
valuable such as
· New schema organization
· New tables
· New functionalities
3.1.A testable solution
We need you to show us that your software works.
Therefore you need to show us that you can provide junit test
Your solution must be working with javamail but also with
· Outlook express
[url removed, login to view] specific environment
If we work together, we need to use a common CVS so we communicate
We need also to use the same coding convention.
Maven is a good choice, but we could give you ant tasks such as
3.3.A technical team as interlocutor
You will be reporting to a technical team, NOT a
Therefore things are quite simple: whenever there is a request, a
bug or a change request we are at the same level of understanding.
Therefore things are simple, and we move/decide quickly.
We are very open to remarks, critics and improvements in the way
we do coding and business.
4. Technical elements
Please ask for the related database mail schema.
Our work is mostly based on a code generator that allow us to work
efficiently on a large application with only a few developers.
Because of this code generator we have some constraints with the
design of the tables.
We focus on simplicity.